The John Poythress Scholarship Fund was established in memory of the founding President of the Georgia Custom Knifemakers’ Guild. John was taken from us unexpectedly in 2005 and this fund was created by family and friends in memory of his passion for the art of knife making. This Scholarship will put up to $500 towards any knife related course which is approved by the Board of Directors. The money can only be used to pay the course tuition and any related supplies used by the student. Applicants should contact a member of the Scholarship Committee prior to attending a course to verify that the particular class, school or member knife-maker teaching the course has been approved.
There are requirements and obligations that the applicant must meet in order to receive this scholarship and he/she hereby agrees to the following terms:
1) The course must be attended within 1 year of approval unless waived by the Board.
2) Membership in the G.C.K.G. must be current and paid in full.
3) You must be a member of the G.C.K.G. for at least one year prior to approval.
4) Payment will be made after proof of satisfactory attendance is submitted.
5) You agree to demonstrate an acquired skill to the members of the Guild within 3 scheduled meetings after attending the course.
6) Applicants will not be eligible for another scholarship for three years following receipt of a previous scholarship.
You can download the application by clicking here